September 12, 2012

Stupid Health Advice--Straight from the Guru's Mouth

Maybe it's just me, but aren't the health and fitness "gurus" starting to sound more and more like idiots?  Here are the top statements that I've seen or heard lately from the so-called lifestyle experts that get their own TV shows and endorsement deals.  It's sad--truly.

1.  To lose weight:  "Avoid foods with a high glycemic index.  Eat vegetables and lean meats, but avoid potatoes and carrots which have a high glycemic index."
When was the last time you over-indulged on carrot sticks?  I'm pretty sure it's the crispy cream donuts and super-size cokes that are the problem.  Teach me how to stay away from the drive-up sugar-cookie window and maybe I'd be able to get my pants snapped!

2.  To lose belly-fat:  "Belly fat is caused by hormones that are released when you're stressed.  To cut the belly fat, you need to meditate and reduce stresses in your life."  See my answer above.  Also, I'm generally pulling up to the sugar-cookie drive-in with screaming kids in my car who haven't been fed and are late for football practice.  Guess I'll be "mediating" in the parking lot with the rest of the moms.

3.  Don't have time to exercise?  "Scorch calories in four minutes with the new Tabata workout."  How stupid do I look?  Okay, that's a dumb question.  The ab-lounge was a best-seller too--but...I wouldn't plan on it getting you in shape for that next 5K either.

Share your favorite nuggets of advice that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.  At least then we can stop pretending that getting a body like Kate Hudson is achievable.  She finally confessed that getting her body back after the baby required 6-hour a day workouts.  Unless you're willing to quit your job in the pursuit of perfection, I guess I'll see you at the cookie drive-up window.


No comments: