August 27, 2012

Choosing Your Tracy Anderson Workout

I'm almost finished with my Tracy Anderson Method workouts.  I've reached level nine and have eight workouts remaining.  I haven't seen a lot of change during the program, but I was in good shape when I began the workouts and had already lost quite a bit of weight so I was very pleased that Tracy's method kept me in shape and in my skinny jeans.  For the record, I didn't follow her six workouts with one day off schedule and I didn't follow the diet plan.  I had lost a significant amount of weight through exercise alone, but I've reached a weight set-point.  You will reach a point, like I have, when the only way to lose more weight is to go on a strict diet.  I can't decide if I'm ready to weigh nuts, or go naked on my salads.  If I decide to jump into the deep end of the diet pool, I'll let you know.

But, what I really wanted to talk about is how to decide which program you should purchase if you decide to try the Tracy Anderson Method.  She offers programs to target your hips, abs or butt and she offers an overall workout.  Her website has a questionnaire designed to help you chose the right program for you.  But, here's the real deal as I see it.  You should pick one of the targeted programs if you are already at your target weight and you really want to whittle down a specific body part or if you look in the mirror and it's ridiculously obvious that your hips (or abs, or butt) are completely out of proportion with the rest of your body.  I say this because most of us don't really know what our problem area is because, thanks to years of eating kid foods and driving the family taxi, all areas are a problem.

I'm like every woman on the planet.  I gain weight everywhere.  When I lose weight, I lose it everywhere.  I'm definitely pear-shaped, but that doesn't mean that my arms don't need to shed some inches.  I picked the hipcentric workout but I'd recommend the omnicentric workout for almost everyone.  Tracy's tough and you will get all-over results no matter what you pick, but her targeted programs can get really boring.  She works your entire body and then she concentrates on your "problem areas" which is code for making you do hundreds of repetitions targeting the problem spot.  In other words, I do so many leg lifts that I've been known to recite the Declaration of Independence in my head while pulsing a single leg in the air.  It burns and it's boring.  Pick a good playlist because you will need it.  Otherwise, get the omincentric workout and, once you shrink down to the size of Tinkerbell, then you can do extra leg-lifts or sit-ups.    

No comments: